The territory now forming Bejai was originally under the Cathedral parish for well over 200 years. The long distanced parish church was a great inconvenience experienced by the catholics of there parts and so they obtained from the British government on 21. 11. 1869 a plot of land measuring 5.37 acres at Bejai and also purchased with aid from cathedral 1.78 acre adjacent land. A chapel was built on it. Sundays, mass was celebrated/offered here by a priest from the cathedral.